Tuesday, October 2, 2012

When there is pain in the offering

"And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.
And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:
For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had." Luke 21:1-4


The Lord has really been speaking to me through this widow lately. I was listening to a song this morning and the lyrics included:
"When there is pain in the offering, blessed be Your Name."
There must have been pain in this widow's offering. Each time I read this, I can't help but feel the same, there must have been pain. To be in need (widows had to rely on family back then) and to choose to give anyway. To have a great and troublesome need, but to choose to sacrifice anyway. This hits home for me.

I'm not talking about money, per say. It is blessed indeed when one gives out of their own monetary need, but it's not limited to that. For me specifically, when I have had bad days, trying days, sleepless nights, and have fought battle after battle in my own home, it is sacrifice for me to put a smile on and continue to serve my family with joy. There is pain in the offering of my worship when I feel like the world is crashing down on me, but I offer that sacrifice of praise anyway, knowing that no matter my pain, even if I should lose everything that I love and cherish, the Lord of hosts is on the Throne and has it all in His mighty hand, and He deserves my praise and adoration, even so much more than I am able to give.

We make sacrifices when we commit to following God's will, painful sacrifices which lead, if we do things right, to painful offerings at times. That is an unavoidable fact of this fallen world. No one can be all sunshine and roses all the time, and it is very hard to bring an offering to the Lord, monetarily or otherwise, when we are wondering where our next meal will be coming from, but the God who feeds the fowls of the air and accounts for every sparrow in creation IS faithful, as promised. ♥

When there is pain in the offering, blessed be Your Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment