Tuesday, October 2, 2012

When God Says, "No."

"Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
~2 Corinthians 12:5-10

How many times have I cried out to God in frustration and anguish, even to the point of charging God foolishly, "Lord, Why have you not healed me of this 'thorn in the flesh'? I have prayed without ceasing, I have prayed BELIEVING, I have prayed in faith, I have prayed in commitment to Your Will, Lord, why have You not healed me??" Does God say He will give us whatever we ask for in prayer, believing that we have received? Yes! Does that always mean that He will do that no matter what? No, it doesn't. We tend to forget sometimes that our God is sovereign, and righteous to not give us what we ask for in prayer, even when we pray believing. Yes, even when we pray in complete submission and faith, God can still rightfully choose to say "No."

Does that mean, when God says "No" to healing, that God is unfaithful? Absolutely not! It just means to serve as a reminder that God is sovereign, and to affirm to us that "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."

When God chooses not to heal for His own purpose, there is no shame in that. There is no lack of faith, there is no 'secret sin' in someone's life that hinders the Spirit, there is only a holy and sovereign God working out His divine will in our lives. ARE there times when faithlessness and sin will hinder healing? Absolutely. However, sometimes God says no for His own reasons, that are not for us to know at the present time, but that He be glorified in all things. For "we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Rom 8:28)

What do we do, when God chooses not to heal? When God chooses not to answer a prayer, or when He just says "No, child,"? Like Paul, "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment