Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Much Increase by the Strength of the Ox

"Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox." Proverbs 14:4
Personally, this hit home for me today. I look around at my house and I see everything that needs to be done, every dirty dish, every toy on the floor, every scrap of paper (boys do love to tear up paper for some reason) littering the floor, and each little thing out of place. I see the laundry that needs to be washed, the schoolwork that needs to be done, and everything else. I could seriously exhaust myself each and every day just keeping up with it all. Housekeeping, to my silly perfectionist I-will-only-be-happy-if-it-looks-this-way ideals would be a double shift full time job in itself if I let it have it's way. I would be pretty miserable trying to keep it up, too.

However, I know that one day my kids will be older, and one day they will even be gone. Then my house will be cleaner. Where there are no oxen, the crib is clean. If I had a barn without oxen, I would have one clean barn, but my fields would be lacking and the increase that I would glean would be miniscule compared to the harvest I could obtain with the blessing of a yoke of oxen. However, with an ox (and presumably a less than clean barn) my harvest is increased.

Not to excuse a messy house, we do need to find a balance, but my harvest field is my home, my mission field is my home, and my home is the training ground of the little future missionaries running around ripping up that paper, avoiding their schoolwork, and scattering the toys. It's not going to be perfect, but the harvest will be plentiful if I set my hand to the plow rightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment