Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Overcoming Temptations



Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
~James 1:12

Overcoming temptation is the goal, not the elimination of it. What good would it do me to eliminate temptation and not grow from it? If I never learn to manage my own desires in one small area, how will I learn to manage my own desires on bigger things? Temptation should make us stronger as we resist it. The Bible is clear, we will face temptation, but God's blessing is on the man who endures it, not particularly the man who runs away from it. Perhaps in the face of temptation is when the strength of Christ is enabled to shine through us. Perhaps temptation allows us to become more dependent, more eager, and more desperate for God, who will bring us through it.

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
~Psalm 28:7

No comments:

Post a Comment