Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mommy Training: Part 1

Today is day one of my Mommy Training Journey as explained HERE.

This morning I had a talk with Amy, my oldest. I asked her how she would feel if she was trying to tell me something that was really important to her and I didn't listen to her. She said it would make her sad and mad. I asked her then, how does she think that I feel when she chooses not to listen to me when I tell her something that is important to me, like to obey me, and she said that it would make me mad and sad. I agreed. We talked about how we all need to start listening to each other and being nice to each other, including mommy. I said I was sorry for getting so mad so much, and I said that I would do better. I explained to her that I didn't have a mommy growing up, because my mommy died when I was Sarah's age. I didn't have a mommy to teach me how to be a mommy, so just like she is learning how to be a big girl, I am learning how to be a mommy. I gave her permission to come up to me when I am getting mad and to tell me "Mommy, you are not being nice." I also told her that I would do the same for her if she started being mad. I told her that we could help each other. I explained to her that Joanna and Sarah look up to her and watch her and do everything that she does because she is their big sister. We talked about how, when Amy does bad things or is disobedient, Joanna and Sarah think that it is what they are suppose to do too, then they get in trouble too. I told her that she needs to be good so that Joanna and Sarah can learn to be good too, because she is a bigger influence on them than I am. She agreed, we hugged, and the morning has been going pretty well. We are going to start reviewing John 14:15 in our devotions, and studying how we prove to Jesus that we love Him by keeping His New Testament commandments (HERE as well), and how they can utilize this concept when obeying mommy and daddy, because learning to obey mommy and daddy is preparation and training for learning to obey God once called by the Spirit unto salvation. After bedtime tonight I will be reading chapters one and two from Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp: Getting to the Heart of Behavior, and Your Child's Development: Shaping Influences. As always, this is open for discussion if anyone wants to take this journey with me.


Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment