Saturday, November 3, 2012

David Wept


2 Samuel 1:1-16

David, we all know him as a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22). A man, while not perfect by a long shot, of righteousness and commitment to God. For many years, Saul, king of Israel, pursued David out of a jealous rage trying to kill him. He made life miserable for David, yet even when confronted with a perfect opportunity to kill Saul, David refused to harm God's anointed (Daniel 2:21). 

In 2 Samuel, we come to the place where Saul dies. Today, if a wicked ruler were to be killed, many would likely rejoice. They would celebrate the man who killed him, especially if the wicked ruler was after their own blood. However, David wept. David mourned the death of Saul, fasting as well. 

The Amalekite who came to bear the message, along with the crown and bracelet, to David spoke of Saul's death, saying:

"...As I happened by chance upon mount Gilboa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear; and, lo, the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him.

And when he looked behind him, he saw me, and called unto me. And I answered, Here am I.

And he said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite.

He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me.

So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen: and I took the crown that was upon his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them hither unto my lord." vs 6 - 10

It was a "mercy killing" at the king's own request. Yet, David rebuked this man for daring to harm the Lord's anointed, and then had one of his men kill this Amalekite man who killed king Saul.

"And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the LORD's anointed." vs 16

Are  we, as a people, so vile and evil today that we would rejoice over the murder or death of a ruler, even an evil one, which we know by Scripture that God hath appointed according to His plan and purpose? Even though Saul did terrible things, treacherous things, David still wept for him, mourned him, and executed justice for his sake. 

I think it is time for a good self-examination.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment