Monday, November 5, 2012

Charity: Better Than Anything - Part 1

 1 Corinthians 13



"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." vs. 1-3

We could speak with the tongues of men and angels, but if we don't have charity, we would be no more than an annoying and bothersome noise to others. We could have the gifts of prophesy, understanding, knowledge, and faith to their greatest extent, yet, if we don't have charity, it all means nothing. We could be a martyr for the faith, we could give everything we own to the poor, but without charity, there is no profit in it.

Without charity, nothing means anything. Thus, charity is better than anything.

What is charity?

CHARITY, n.

1. In a general sense, love, benevolence, good will; that disposition of heart which inclines men to think favorably of their fellow men to think favorably of their fellow men, and to do them good. In a theological sense, it includes supreme love to God, and universal good will to men.

Love. A disposition to do good. Good will toward men. Being inclined to think favorably of men rather than to think ill of them. To wish to do people good rather than evil, even when they have done evil to us.

If there was ever a time that I would need to say ouch rather than amen, it would be now.


Lord, forgive me. Forgive me for being so self-centered, so self-focused, that I have let charity slip away in my thoughts and deeds. Please enable me to love others as You do, to let YOUR charity shine forth to them, that they may see YOU in everything that I do.



"I just want people to see Christ in me. I don’t even care if they know my name, as long as they get to know my God."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment