Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Just some thoughts

It is easy to judge others based on our own convictions, but not so very easy to judge with the righteous judgment that we are called to exercise in this world by the power and true discernment of the Holy Spirit. That being said, it is impossible not to judge, for any take on any given situation is a judgment call; that cannot be avoided. Throwing the term ‘judging’ around is non-beneficial to say the least, because it is a conundrum, for even stating that someone is judging another is, in turn, to exercise judgment: the very thing most people claim to be against. So, while judging is an unavoidable fact of life on all levels, we, as Christians, are called to righteous judgment.

I do stand firm and unwavering on the Word of God, and everything in it. In that I am unashamed. If God calls it sin, it is sin. Plain and simple, there is no getting around that fact without buying into this new age tolerance doctrine that is a danger to the very essence of what faith is all about. Christ did not die so that everyone could believe what they wanted to believe and do what they wanted to do anytime they wanted to. They would do that anyway. He died to give men another option: The option of eternal life if they would only believe. That is saving Grace. Salvation is not of works, lest any man should boast, but it is a free gift of God. The finished work of the cross and the ultimate sacrifice of God’s only begotten Son, virgin born into this sinful world as a man of flesh, is the only thing we need. No man or woman’s salvation should ever be judged by outward appearances or works. This does not excuse the fact that good works inspired by the Spirit for the glory of God should accompany salvation, but we who cannot see the heart cannot judge the heart, which is the root of salvation assurance.

I am an uncompromising Independent Fundamental Baptist. I am a King James Bible only, modest skirt/dress wearing, prayer covering, submissive to the authority of my own husband type woman who has laid the course of my childbearing years at the feet of the Creator. I also understand the concept of grace and the Law of Christ for those who are born-again by the Spirit, who are under faith instead of the Schoolmaster of old. These are my convictions. I am passionate about my convictions, and I will share them openly, but at the same time I understand that they are exactly that: MY convictions. I cannot force feed my convictions to ANYONE and have them accept them by my own power any more than I can plant a squash seed and cause a watermelon to grow instead. I did not come to my convictions because of anyone simply telling me that this is what I ought to do, it was a total Spirit led process, and I would now have it no other way. I would be quite wary of anyone who would do or accept anything based on the simple fact that someone else told them they should and pointed out a few Bible verses. Many cults and false teachings have begun that way. It HAS to be Spirit led, or it is false, fruitless, weak, and an empty shell of what should be faith. I can share my convictions and why God led me to them from dawn til dusk, but I can’t change anyone. Only God can, through the work of the Spirit. I am forever humbled to know that God may one day use me to help change another person’s life one day, but in the same breath, I know that it’s not about me, it’s about HIM and HIS righteousness alone.

I have noticed over the years that many look on things as sin that are not sin. People see a lack of or weak faith in others and call it sin. People see worry in others and call it sin. People see what I call the non-fruits of the Spirit in others (impatience, a lack of self-control, etc) and call it sin. There is a fine line. It is known that many of these traits can lead people into sin, but honestly these traits in themselves are not sin. I can find no place in which they are labeled as a sin rather than just a weakness that ought to be built up. We need to be careful what we label as sin, and instead of seeking to bring the whole doomsday type attitude to someone if they don’t straighten up fast, we should seek to find the root of the weakness, and then seek to edify the body, to build up and strengthen the person in need of said strength so that they may be equipped to serve the Lord with rejoicing and joy.

As in the case of the prodigal son: The father did not shun his son, nor does it say that he pestered him incessantly about his poor choices, and he didn’t even refuse to sell out early and give his son his part of his inheritance, but rather he acknowledged that his son was an adult, responsible before God for his own choices, and acknowledged that some lessons can only be learned, not taught, and stepped aside, undoubtedly in prayer, and let the Spirit work in His own time. So should our attitude be towards others who do not hold to the same convictions that we hold to. We ought to express our concerns, no doubt about that, and back them up as well, but leave it at that before it escalates into a fire that cannot be controlled. One we learn to accept that the battle is not ours, and that it isn’t about us, or who is right or wrong, many arguments will be extinguished, and many friendships preserved. Trust me, a single kind and compassionate (yet truthful and pointed) word will echo in the spirit longer than any heated debate will ever resound. The prodigal would not have returned if he felt as if he has been wronged or attacked by his father.

So we stand on the Word, the whole incorruptible and faithful Word of God, and we allow the Spirit to work in ways that we cannot. It’s not about us, our efforts to win people, our strengths, or even our smarts or unceasing arguments. It is only about Christ and His righteousness. It is only about the convicting work of the Spirit in the soul that mortal eyes cannot see. The sooner we realize that Jesus doesn’t need us to fight His battles for Him, the better off the Body of Christ will be, and the sooner we can seek to strive together in perfect harmony according to the power and message of our Lord and Risen Savior Jesus Christ. To God alone be the glory, in all things. When we remove ourselves from the picture and seek only to be a vessel through which God can work, without seeking to satisfy the fleshly desire to “win” the discussion point or have the last word, no matter how justified we believe that we are, God then can truly be uplifted and glorified as we silently fade into the backstage curtains in silent worship as we stand in awe of His amazing grace and glorious power.

For his glory alone, I am a faithful and humble servant. Never deserving of His grace and mercy, but God has been good beyond all measure nonetheless and blessed me in the midst of my despicable human state, and caused me to rise in honor by His power alone.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I think one of the things that has discouraged so many people and turned them away from the church, organized religion, and sometimes ever Christianity itself is the tendency to judge others based on our convictions and add to the word of God.

    It is so easy to lose sight of His Grace among all of the shoulds & should nots that our culture adds to the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete