Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Parables in Everyday Life: The Vacuum of Influence

My office floor was littered with tiny pieces of debris: Paper, thread, pencil shavings, etc. So, seeing as how I had been neglecting this room, I dutifully plugged in my vacuum and got to work.

As I vacuumed, I noticed something peculiar.

Not peculiar in the sense of it actually being strange, but just to the extent that it hit my mind in such a way as to add the experience to the category of Parables in Everyday Life.

As I ran the vacuum over these pieces of debris, I noticed that it was picking up trash.

I know, it isn't all that extraordinary, but I also noticed something else. It was picking up trash that was settled near to the area that I was vacuuming over, not just the trash that it was going over.

This particular vacuum is a pretty powerful one. So much so that even running close to a piece of trash would lead to that piece of trash being snatched up into the roaring vortex.

This continued for the entirety of the room until I got to a stubborn one.

A piece of scotch tape was stuck to my carpet.


Such a tiny little thing, but it stood strong where all others had fainted and succumbed to being drawn in without resistance.

I stopped and asked myself, what is the difference between this small, weak, and seemingly insignificant piece of scotch tape and all the rest of the trash on the floor? I had certainly picked up bigger debris, and small bits of crayon posed more of a challenge than anything else, so what was it about this little piece of tape?

Of course!

It had staying power!

It had the ability to stand strong in the face of an almost overwhelming influence to be sucked in along with every other item that had traveled that path before it.

You know what?

Jesus want's us to be sticky too.

"Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong."
~1 Corinthians 16:13

"Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle."
~2 Thessalonians 2:15

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)"
~Hebrews 10:23

Jesus wants us to hold fast to Him and His Promise, and resist the vacuum of worldly influence.

Stand strong against the wiles of the devil and hold tight to Christ.



"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might."
Ephesians 6:10

Do not be overtaken by the influence of the world, but be transformed by Christ, and cling to Him in your hours of trial so that when that vacuum of influence passes near, you will be able to stand firm on the Rock of Christ and resist temptations.


"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
~Proverbs 3:5-6

For in our weakness, He is made strong.

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."
~2 Corinthians 12
:9a

So I reach down and pluck that little piece of scotch tape off of the carpet, knowing in my heart that Jesus as my Lord will never suffer me to be plucked from His mighty hand. I whisper a silent prayer of gratitude, and I go on about my day with the Joy of John 10:28 in my soul, and the courage to stand fast once again, even in the face of this worldly adversity that surrounds me daily.

Praise the Lord for He is good, His mercy endureth forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment